Advanced Interactive Design - Task 3 Final Website

14/06/2026 - 23/7/2026 (Week 8 - Week 14)
Advanced Interactive Design DST60804 / Bachelor in Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Anggia Tsani Rachmadiyanti, (0368487)
Task 3 - FINAL PROJECT : COMPLETED THEMATIC INTERACTIVE WEBSITE


 CONTENT LIST 


 Instructions / Module Brief: 



     Lecture Notes 

    Please refer to Exercises page for lecture notes



     Task 3: Final Thematic Interactive Website 

    Instructions & Requirements: 

    From our Figma prototype, we have to deliver a final working website using Adobe Animate and publish using Netlify

    -----------

    Final Website Netlify Link:


    ** Note: Please note that it will load a bit long to move and open to a new page, but once you revisit a page that has been visited it won't load long again. This is due to Netlify loading size.



     Work Progress & Process 

    Organising Files

    To begin with, I organised all my working files into one folder, to makesure everything is linked properly and can be easily navigated when importing the assets. I started making all the Animate .fla files for each pages and named them accordingly:

    (Fig. 1) - Organising my file pages of Animate folder

    My Web Pages Structure

    1. index.html - loading and start page where visitor wil press the pedal and start the website
    2. home.html - The opening start homepage, titles, with the navigation bars of other pages
    3. intro.html - Introduction of what is F1 and the 11 teams 
    4. race.html - opening page on how the races work to lead them to raceslider page (the contents)
    5. raceslider.html - How the race works: How each f1 race weekend structure works, score points and types of championship.
    6. terms.htmlBasic Terms (glossary) and flag types in f1
    7. cartyres.html - A page with 2 button choices where people can click to see the main parts of an F1 car, and another button shows them the 5 different types of tyres.
    8. countries.html - A page which shows the worldmap, highlighted parts of the countries where f1 race in as well as list of the countries in each continent which hosts f1 races


    (Fig. 1.1) - My web pages in order, opened on animate

    Fonts & Colours Used:

    I used 2 fonts for the website: 
    • Afacad - body texts
    • Gloria Hallelujah - special texts and subheadings / titles
    (Fig. 1.2) - Colour Palette & Typefaces

    Loading & Start Page:

    On every page I made sure to add the ACTION LAYER on each timeline at the top, and making sure I name each layer properly as well as the Instance name so that it will be easy to code later on..

    I used classic tween to loop rotate the loading wheel tyre and also the progress gradient bar. And I then make 1 frame for the pedal start interface after the page loads. The lights loop animate one by one like how f1 races start with lights being shown one after the other blinking. The user will click the pedal to continue and start the website. I attached a sound when you click the pedal it creates a car "vroom" sound. 

    (Fig. 2.1) - Progress on loading page

    (Fig. 2.2) - Progress code on loading page

    After the pedal is clicked, it opens an animation of the car moving following the white curved path from left to right. For this, I drew using pen tool my path and masked it and added classic ease animation >> Orient to path, so the car would move following the line path.

    (Fig. 2.3) - Progress on loading page

    HomePage:

    In this page, I added the logo on top left and navigation bar to go to other pages of the website. I also put the title text on this website and 2 cars illustration with looping movement in the Movie Clip in its position to show the car getting ready, revving. When the START button is clicked. For the "F1" big red title logo, I used procreate and drew it digitally, making slight movements to it so it's not static and still.

    START button click >> Yellow car moves downwards out of the page >> leads to next page (Intro.html)

    For the button I used Btn Symbol and edited the Up, Down Hover state designs.



    (Fig. 3.1) - Progress on Home page

    Intro Page:

    This age is the starting page introducing what F1 is in a carousel slider card with left and right arrows. Then it shows the eleven teams in f1. I made a minor loop animation of the illustration sketch i did for the intro card

    (Fig. 3.2) - Progress on Intro page

    I initially wanted to write the names of the drivers in each teams, but then in F1, the team members and drivers change every year, so it won't be same and flexible if a person want to open the website in another year. To move from one slide to another, I used the gotoAndPlay (frame number) to move between card slider pages.

    (Fig. 3.3) - Progress on Intro page sliders and arrows

    (Fig. 3.4) - Progress code on Intro page sliders and arrows

    Race Page:

    Here to make it easier, I separated into 2 files, landing page of the race page and the contents.

    Race page is the start page with the title and visual, and Flag button which user can click to start the page on how the race works. When the flag is hovered, opacity decreases and when it click, it moves to start the page on how the race work..


    (Fig. 3.5) - Progress on Intro page of the Race page 

    Now in this page it is a slider with arrows, which gives a flow of how each F1 race weekend structure works from Practice session, Qualifying, Main Race >> How scoring and points work >> 2 types of championships...


    (Fig. 3.6) - Progress on Race page sliders and arrows

    For each visuals I created a looping animation inside the Movie Clip, to make it more engaging, example, for the cars, make the helmet and car wheels move and also the trophy tilting:

    (Fig. 3.7) - Progress on animating the illustrations in its place

    (Fig. 3.8) - Progress on animating the illustrations in its place

    In the Types of Championship trophy page, I added a hover animation so that when the user hover on two of the trophies, it gives an information pop out card. For the action code i use "Mouseover" to make it work: 

    (Fig. 3.9) - Progress on animating the trophy & hover card

    (Fig. 3.10) - Progress on animating the trophy & hover card

    (Fig. 3.11) - Coding for animating the trophy & hover card


    Terms & Flags:

    By far, this page was the hardest as it has alot of Buttons to deal with espcially making the steering wheel buttons for the Basic Terms Glossary. What I did was that I separated the steering wheel shape, the screen box and text separately in different layers for it to work.

    (Fig. 4.1) - Progress on Terms page

    (Fig. 4.2) - Progress on creating the interactive steering wheel buttons

    Inside the Screen MC layer, for each 11 visuals for each of the terms, I placed it in different layers each time and change the alpha opacity to Zero so that I can alter that later in my Javascript codes, whenever each button is clicked. For the codes, it connects to the Btn layers so it makesure when a specific button is clicked. The Alpha f that screen for the term button only shows up, making the rest invisible. I used the Alpha code in the javascript and repeat it for all 11 buttons to work.

    Also for each term visual drawings, I added animations looping for example the DRS air flow system, to make it more clearer rather than just static:

    (Fig. 4.3) - Progress on steering wheel button

    (Fig. 4.4) - steering wheel button codes

    (Fig. 4.5) - Progress on tyres of flags sliders

    Moving from the steering wheel button slide, the next sliders are the 8 types of flags and its meaning, with each moving visuals. I have also added the navigation butons of all the other flags below each flag so users can easily click on which flag they want to view faster. 

    Car & Tyres:

    (Fig. 4.6) - Progress on Car & Tyres page 

    This page has two buttons where users can click either: "Parts of the F1 Car" card or the "Types of tyres"

    For the Parts Of The Car card, I added hover animation so that when the user hover on the label names of the parts, a yellow highlight colour covers the specific part on the main car. For this I also used the Alpha code, and javascript action code.

    (Fig. 5.1) - Progress on Parts of the car, hover card page

    (Fig. 5.2) - Progress on Parts of the car, hover card page

    In the Types of Tyres pages, I animated the wheel to go in the page from the left, with each of the tyres turning until it stops in the middle of the page, continued by the texts appearing, showing the function of each tyre type.

    (Fig. 5.3) - Progress on Types of wheels

    Countries:

    In this last page, I gave a hover animation to which highlight each of the continent F1 race in when the user hover on each of the boxes.

    (Fig. 5.4) - Progress on Countries map hover diagram

    (Fig. 5.5) - Progress on Countries map hover diagram


    Adding Sound:

    Music used in the website:

    I first downloaded the mp3 and put it in the same folder.  I then imported the mp3 to library, change it t Event >> Loop and drag it to stage and Publish.

    (Fig. 6.1) - process on adding the MP3 background music

    (Fig. 6.2) - process on adding the MP3 background music


    I struggled with the mute sound button. I did apply it but it never got to work everytime I published on netlify, so sir told me to just remove it, as long as there's still the music in the pages.



    Final Website Netlify Link:


    ** Note: Please note that it will load a bit long to move and open to a new page, but once you revisit a page that has been visited it won't load long again. This is due to Netlify loading size.

    Website Screen Recording Walkthrough:

    (Fig. 7.1) - Demo Screen recording video of the final working website



     Feedbacks 

    Week 10:
    Specific Feedback: sir said my Figma is all good and I can start doing the website on animate next week. Mr Shamsul said that I should add at least slight looping animations for all the visuals, so it's not just static or else it looks like other normal websites. Make the car look like it's warming up, revving, wheels and helmet move abit. Sir told me to change the number "11" in the 11 teams as "Eleven" as the font for the numbers may not be clear enough.

    Week 11:
    Specific Feedback: I asked sir if its normal for my pages to load awhile in Netlify and he said that is normal

    Week 12:
    Specific Feedback: I ttried to publish in Netlify more than 20 times, my sound button doesnt work at all, so mr Shamsul just told me its ok to remove the sound mute button, as long there is the sound.


     Reflections 

    Experience: 

    Building this F1 Unlocked website was one of the most challenging yet rewarding tasks I have taken on. Starting out with Adobe Animate was genuinely overwhelming, the interface, the timeline, the layers, the symbols, and especially the JavaScript code for HTML Canvas were all completely new territory for me. There were many moments of frustration, particularly when buttons refused to work, animations would not loop correctly, or click listeners would stack and conflict with each other in ways I did not fully understand at first. Debugging code that controlled slide navigation, hover states, and interactive elements required a lot of patience and trial and error over the course of the project. When I get really stuck I ask for a solution on which part of my codes went wrong and I learnt about some new codes using Chat GPT. It is helpful at times when i need a solution. I dont like entirely asking AI to help me, I only ask help won a specific part of the codes which needs fixing. Whenever I make a wrong code, sometimes it gives me a working solution, sometimes it doesn't help me, but i note down every code i learnt in case i needed it later on. Not everytime AI would be able to help us solve an error. There were alot of times where it was me myself who end up being able to finally fix a code, not Ai. It is quite challenging but fun trying to make a code error work.

    However, after approximately six days of consistent work,the tools started to feel more familiar, the logic of keyframes and tweens began to make sense, and I started to anticipate problems before they happened. What once felt impossibly technical slowly became manageable and even enjoyable. The process of building interactive elements like the steering wheel term buttons, the trophy hover cards, the race slider carousels, and the looping stop motion animations gave me a real sense of creative and technical accomplishment that I had not expected going in.

    Observations: 

    Throughout the process I observed that Adobe Animate HTML Canvas behaves very differently from traditional animation tools. One key observation was that Button symbols and Movie Clip symbols handle click and hover events differently, which caused many of my early interaction problems. I also noticed that event listeners in JavaScript stack on top of each other when a timeline loops back to the same frame, which was the root cause of most of my navigation issues across the slider pages. Separating buttons into individual layers and using unique instance names for each slide resolved many of these conflicts. 

    I also observed that the visual design decisions had a direct impact on user engagement. Choosing a hand drawn sketchy aesthetic for an F1 topic created an unexpected and charming contrast, something energetic and playful rather than cold and technical. The chequered border, the red and yellow colour palette, and the illustrated graphics all contributed to a consistent thematic identity that felt cohesive across every page. I noticed that when the visual language was consistent, the overall experience felt much more intentional and professional even when built on a technical foundation I was still learning.

    Findings: 

    Through completing this project I found that the most important skill in interactive web design is not just knowing how to code or animate, but knowing how to problem solve systematically. Every broken button or misbehaving animation had a logical reason behind it, and learning to trace that reason rather than panicking was the real skill I developed. I also found that separating concerns, keeping buttons on their own layers, keeping content inside Movie Clips, keeping actions organised by frame, made the project significantly easier to manage and debug. 

    Most importantly I found that choosing a topic I genuinely care about made a significant difference to the quality and energy of the work. Because I am passionate about Formula 1, I naturally wanted the website to feel exciting and immersive for the user. This drove me to push further with the interactions, the animations, and the UI details than I might have otherwise. The experience confirmed for me that good design comes from genuine investment in the subject, and that even highly technical tools become enjoyable when the creative vision behind them is something meaningful to you.


    Comments

    Popular Posts